Current:Home > NewsGen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says -WealthSync Hub
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 12:23:16
Retired Gen. Mark Milley, who served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the Trump and Biden administrations, has had both his security detail and his security clearance revoked, the Pentagon says.
New Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth "informed General Milley today that he is revoking the authorization for his security detail and suspending his security clearance as well," Pentagon spokesman John Ullyot told CBS News in a statement Tuesday night.
Ullyot said Hegseth "also directed" the Defense Department's Office of Inspector General to "conduct an inquiry into the facts and circumstances surrounding Gen. Milley's conduct so that the Secretary may determine whether it is appropriate to reopen his military grade review determination."
Acting Defense Department Inspector General Stephen Stebbins received a request to review whether Milley, a four-star general, should be stripped of a star, a spokesperson with the Pentagon's inspector general's office also told CBS News. Stebbins is reviewing the request.
Mr. Trump nominated Milley to head the Joint Chiefs during his first term, a position Milley held for a full four-year term from 2019 until 2023.
Mr. Trump and Milley, however, had a public falling out in the final months of Mr. Trump's first term over several incidents, beginning with an apology Milley issued for taking part, while dressed in fatigues, in the photo opin front of St. John's Church in June 2020 after federal officers cleared out social justice protesters from Lafayette Park so Mr. Trump could walk to the church from the White House.
A book published in September 2021revealed that Milley had also engaged in two phone calls — one on Oct. 30, 2020, and the second on Jan. 8, 2021, two days after the Capitol insurrection — with Chinese General Li Zuocheng of the People's Liberation Army in order to assure him that the U.S. would not launch an attack against China and that the U.S. was stable.
At the time of the revelation, Mr. Trump claimed Milley should be tried for "treason." Then, in a shocking 2023 social media post, Mr. Trump suggested the calls constituted a "treasonous act" that could warrant execution.
In an October 2023 interviewwith "60 Minutes," Milley said the calls were "an example of deescalation. So — there was clear indications — that the Chinese were very concerned about what they were observing — here in the United States."
According to another 2021 book, Milley feared that Mr. Trump would attempt a coupafter losing the 2020 election and made preparations in case such a plan had been carried out.
On Jan. 20, as he was leaving office, former President Joe Biden preemptively pardonedMilley along with others he thought could be targeted by the Trump administration.
In a statement Tuesday, Joe Kasper, Defense Department Chief of Staff, told CBS News that "undermining the chain of command is corrosive to our national security, and restoring accountability is a priority for the Defense Department under President Trump's leadership."
The Trump administration has also revoked the federal security details of former Trump Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, former Trump national security adviser John Bolton, former Trump special envoy on Iran Brian Hook and Dr. Anthony Fauci, former longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Melissa Quinn contributed to this report.
- In:
- Pentagon
- Mark Milley
- Donald Trump
- Defense Department
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (2515)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- How to make overnight oats: Use this recipe for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast
- Will Georgia prosecutor be removed from election case against Donald Trump? Judge to hear arguments
- How Ben Affleck Helped Jennifer Lopez With New Musical This Is Me...Now
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Lack of snow forces Montana ski resort to close halfway through season
- Detroit police search for 13-year-old girl missing since school bus ride in January
- Our Place Flash Deal: Save $100 on the Internet-Famous Always Pans 2.0
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Skiier killed, 2 others hurt after falling about 1,000 feet in Alaska avalanche
Ranking
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Exclusive: Craig Counsell mourns his mother as first spring training with Chicago Cubs begins
- A man apologizes for a fatal shooting at Breonna Taylor protest, sentenced to 30 years
- Disneyland performers seek to have union protections like other park employees
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Jim Clyburn to step down from House Democratic leadership
- Betting on the Super Bowl was brisk at sportsbooks in big U.S. markets
- Kyle Richards & Mauricio Umansky's Marriage Cracks Are Clearer Than Ever in Bleak RHOBH Preview
Recommendation
Trump's 'stop
A new exhibition aims to bring Yoko Ono's art out of John Lennon’s shadow
Americans who live alone report depression at higher rates, but social support helps
Jennifer Lopez's Zodiac-Themed Dress Will Make You Starry Eyed
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Soccer star Megan Rapinoe criticized those who celebrated her career-ending injury
How Ben Affleck Helped Jennifer Lopez With New Musical This Is Me...Now
North Carolina man says he'll use lottery winnings to run for US Congress