Current:Home > NewsFastexy:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthSync Hub
Fastexy:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 23:07:01
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Fastexyagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (53863)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Senate committee to vote to hold Steward Health Care CEO in contempt
- A strike would add to turbulent times at Boeing
- Jill Biden and the defense chief visit an Alabama base to highlight expanded military benefits
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- California man arrested after allegedly assaulting flight attendants after takeoff
- Award-winning author becomes a Barbie: How Isabel Allende landed 'in very good company'
- Montana miner to lay off hundreds due to declining palladium prices
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Ex-Massachusetts lawmaker convicted of scamming pandemic unemployment funds
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Arkansas county jail and health provider agree to $6 million settlement over detainee’s 2021 death
- Dancing With the Stars Season 33 Trailer: Anna Delvey Reveals Her Prison Connection to the Ballroom
- This Beloved Real Housewives of Miami Star Is Leaving the Show
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- De'Von Achane injury updates: Latest on Dolphins RB's status for Thursday's game vs. Bills
- Firm offers bets on congressional elections after judge clears way; appeal looms
- Arkansas county jail and health provider agree to $6 million settlement over detainee’s 2021 death
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Principal indicted, accused of not reporting alleged child abuse by Atlantic City mayor
Pilots of an Alaska Airlines jet braked to avoid a possible collision with a Southwest plane
Joe Schmidt, Detroit Lions star linebacker on 1957 champions and ex-coach, dead at 92
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Father of slain Ohio boy asks Trump not to invoke his son in immigration debate
Arizona man copied room key, sexually assaulted woman in hotel: Prosecutors
Cam Taylor-Britt dismisses talent of Chiefs' Xavier Worthy: 'Speed. That's about it'